Introduction to Business Licenses & Permits in Hong Kong

A business license permits you to conduct a specific type of business activity and is usually issued by a department or agency of the Hong Kong government. Fortunately very few business activities require a business license in Hong Kong.

In order to apply for a business license in Hong Kong, the company must first be registered with the Companies Registry. To find out about how to setup a private limited company in Hong Kong, refer to Hong Kong Company Formation guide.

In this article, we will describe the most common business licenses in Hong Kong and provide links to more detailed information as appropriate.

Common Businesses with Licensing Requirements in Hong Kong

Listed below are some of the common businesses that require a license or permit in Hong Kong. In general, it may take between 2-8 weeks to obtain a business license or permit.

Operating an Employment Agency

If you wish to operate an employment agency that provides recruitment and placement services to other employers, you are required to obtain a ‘License to Operate an Employment Agency’ from the Labor Department. Employment agencies include headhunting or executive search companies, foreign domestic worker agencies, local and foreign staffing companies, construction worker agencies and so on.For more details about eligibility criteria, licensing procedure, time-line etc. refer to Starting an Employment Agency in Hong Kong.

Operating a Travel Agency

In order to start a travel agency that offers travel or tour packages (including transportation services), you will need to apply for a ‘Travel Agent’s License’ with the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau. The Travel Agent’s License permits you to conduct the following activities:

  • Selling or arranging transportation tickets
  • Arranging for hotel or resort accommodation
  • Organizing a group tour or package tour

For details, refer to Starting a Travel Agency in Hong Kong.

Operating a Restaurant

To open a restaurant where food and drinks are sold, you will need to obtain a ‘General Restaurant License’ from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department. Please note that you must first finalize your place of retail operation before applying for the license, as the authorities will inspect the premises prior to granting an approval for the license. If you wish to serve liquor in your restaurant you will require a ‘Liquor License’ from the Liquor Licensing Board. A Liquor License will only be issued when the premises have also been issued with or are likely to be issued with a Restaurant License. A Liquor License will only be valid if the premises remain licensed as a restaurant. Thus having a General Restaurant License is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for obtaining a Liquor License. Additionally, you may require the following licenses or permits:

  • License for Storage or Manufacture of Dangerous Goods: If you plan to store liquor not meant for immediate consumption on the premises
  • Karaoke Establishment Permit: To conduct karaoke in your restaurant
  • Permission for Outside Seating Accommodation: To use an open area for alfresco dining
  • Import License: To import frozen meat and poultry
  • Bakery License: To bake bread or other bakery products for sale at any premises
  • Food Factory License: To prepare, manufacture, further process or pack food for sale for human consumption off the premises
  • Permit to Sell Food by means of Vending Machine: To sell food or drinks from a vending machine
  • Restricted Food Permit: To sell restricted foods such as cut fruit, sashimi, sushi, oyster and meat in their raw forms

For details, refer to Starting a Restaurant in Hong Kong.

Operating an Education Business

Setting up an educational institute in Hong Kong is often viewed as a lucrative business. As a result, every year there are a number of academic institutes, vocational centers, kindergartens, childcare centers and nurseries that are set up by individuals and foreign institutions. In order to streamline the education sector, the Hong Kong authorities have prescribed certain entry requirements.

If you wish to set up a kindergarten, an academic school that offers primary and secondary education, a tutorial center, a computer education center, a language school, an enrichment center that offers diplomas and certificate courses or a distance learning center, you will have to obtain a ‘Certificate of Registration of a School’ from the Education Bureau of Hong Kong.

For details, refer to Starting an Education Business in Hong Kong.

Operating a Financial Services Company

Depending on the type of financial services you wish to provide, you will have to obtain the following licenses:

  • Representative License, Authorized Institution Registration or a Corporate License issued by the Securities and Futures Commission: To conduct investment advisory services relating to foreign currencies, commodity futures, precious metals, security, overseas stock, gold bullion and fund investment
  • Money Lenders License issued by the Companies Registry: To operate a money lending business
  • Registration of Insurance Agents issued by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance: To act as an insurance agent
  • Authorization of Insurance Brokers issued by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance: To act as an insurance broker
  • Authorization to carry on an Insurance Business issued by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance: To act as an insurer
  • Pawnbrokers License issued by the Hong Kong Police Force: To operate a pawnshop
  • Registration of Deposit-Taking Company (DTC) to Carry on Business of Taking Deposits issued by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority: To operate a firm that takes deposits from customers
  • Registration of Remittance Agents and Money Changers issued by the Hong Kong Police Force: To operate as a Money Changer & Foreign Currencies/Exchange Broker or Dealer

For details, refer to Guide to Financial Services Licenses in Hong Kong.

Operating an Event Management Company

Licensing requirements for conducting events vary depending on the category of events you specialize in. Broadly speaking, events can be classified as:

  • Exhibitions, concerts and indoor events
  • Community, sporting and outdoor events
  • Meetings, conventions and conferences

Depending on the specific type of activities you engage in you may have to obtain the following permits:

  • Amusements with Prizes License issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority: To organize or conduct amusement games with prizes
  • Certificate for Advertising Materials issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority: To display any advertising materials or film
  • Lottery License issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority: To organize or conduct fund-raising lottery ticket sales for charities and non-profit making organizations
  • Certificate of Approval issued by the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority: To conduct a public screening of a film
  • Liquor License issued by the Liquor Licensing Board: To sell liquor for consumption on the premises of an event
  • Food Factory License issued by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department: To operate a food stall or kiosk during an event

For details, refer to Starting an Event Management Company in Hong Kong.

Operating a Retail Shop

Licensing requirements for retail shops vary depending on the nature of goods and services being sold. Examples include:

  • Animal Boarding Establishment License issued by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department: To run a Pets and Accessories retail shop
  • Retailer License in Chinese Herbal Medicines issued by the Department of Health: To run a Chinese herbs store
  • Listing Certificate of Class II/III Medical Devices and Certificate of Registration of Premises of an Authorized Seller of Poisons issued by the Department of Health: To operate cosmetics, medicinal, pharmaceutical & drugs stores

Operating a Trading Company

If you are engaging in import or export activities, the need to obtain a specific import/export license depends upon whether you are dealing with controlled goods or non-controlled goods. Examples of controlled goods include cigarettes and tobacco products, drugs, petrochemicals, animals and food products. If you are trading in controlled goods you will require a relevant import/export license relating to the goods you are dealing in, issued by the specific governing agency.

For details, refer to Starting a Trading Company in Hong Kong.

Simple and straightforward business licencing

Hong Kong’s business licensing procedure is simple and straightforward. If you follow the licensing procedure and comply with the documentation requirements and other criteria, there is no reason for your license to be rejected. Although you can apply for a license on your own, it is advisable to engage a professional services firm to save you time and resources.

Ready to get a license?

If you are interested in getting a business license in Hong Kong, Hawksford can help. Request a quote now to take the next step towards your dream business.

Request a quote

Learn how speaking with Hawksford could transform your business

Hawksford's Hong Kong business advisory and support specialists help you structure your business the right way, plus assist you with obtaining the necessary licenses and permits for your business.

See our range of business advisory services

Back to top